1026-28 Royal street, NEW ORLEANS, LA
Known as “Dr. Mossy’s Cottage” through the writings of George Washington Cable, this early 1800’s duplex cottage had descended into a state of extreme decay when the current owners took possession in early 2013 (check date) The building’s asbestos tile roof had failed allowing water to freely enter the building. The resulting termite and water damage to the wood structural system was extensive. Interior finishes including layers of superficial material such as drop ceilings, vinyl tile, gypsum board walls and other less durable materials, obscured remaining historical features, were in a state of advanced decay. The building was abandoned and uninhabitable. The renovation of the building reversed unsympathetic ca 1950’s alterations to window and door openings, repaired the structural decay and transformed the building into a comfortable single residence. The floor plan was expanded by 226 sq ft using historic markers present on the adjacent property line wall and historic records. The walls were re-plastered, wood floors were installed, the chimney lost in previous remodelings was reconstructed. A slate roof was installed over the cottage and the abat-vent was finished with a historically accurate standing seam metal roof. Remaining interior details including the beaded ceiling beams were carefully restored and reconstructed. The work was planned and executed in close coordination with the staff of the Vieux Carré Commission which approved and encouraged each step in the process. The exterior lighting system was one of the first to be approved under the new “Vieux Carré Lighting Standards Guidelines”. The resulting building projects the feel of an early Vieux Carré cottage while including amenities that make it a fully functional residence which is the full time home of the Owner.